If there’s such a thing as healthy comfort food, this is it! Here is a super satisfying recipe that will stick to your ribs. If you like Twice Baked Potatoes, I encourage to give this healthier version a try! Serve with Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream for the ultimate experience. You will not be disappointed! Gluten-free!
Let’s start cooking…
Ingredients: Sweet Potatoes, Red Onion, Avocado, Lime, Peppers, Black Beans, Salsa, Cooked Chicken, Garlic, Olive Oil, Cheddar Cheese Blend, Cilantro (optional), Garlic Powder, Cumin and Onion Powder.
Scrub the Sweet Potatoes and then put them on a baking tray. Poke them with a fork 3-4 times. Bake at 430 F for an hour. Check at 40 minutes for doneness. While they are baking, make sure all the rest of your ingredients are fully prepped and ready to go. When the sweet potatoes are done, set them aside and continue with the rest of the recipe:
1) In a large frying pan, heat the Olive Oil and fry up the Onions until softened. 2-3) Next add the Garlic and Peppers. Cook until softened. 4) In goes the cooked shredded Chicken, stir to combine and heat through. 5) Add the spices and mix to combine. 6) Lastly, add the Black Beans and mix well to combine. Turn off heat and keep covered for now.
7) When the sweet potatoes are baked, allow them too cool for 5-10 min prior to handling. Cut them in half and slice around the inside of the skin, leaving 1cm ‘wall’ around the inside of the skin. 8) Scoop out the flesh and transfer it into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the skins aside. NOTE: My potato skins practically slid right off. Slicing the inside edge wasn’t an option for me. 9) Mash the flesh. 10) Add the chicken and lime juice to the mixture and combine. 11) Carefully fill the skins with the sweet potato mixture. 12) Top with cheese.
Arrange the stuffed potato skins on baking pan and put them back in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
Ok, now I want one.
- 3 Sweet Potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Cooked Chicken Breast – boneless & skinless (about 9oz) – shredded fine
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Red Pepper, sliced
- 1 Orange Pepper, sliced
- 1 Green Pepper, sliced
- ½ cup Black Beans, cooked
- ½ tsp Cumin, ground
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 cup Cheese: Cheddar OR Mexican OR Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 1 Lime - fresh, juiced
- ¼ cup Cilantro – fresh, chopped (optional)
- Diced Avocado (or Guacamole), Salsa and Sour Cream to serve (optional)
- Make sure your Chicken is cooked and finely shredded. (Keep in fridge for now).
- Place Sweet Potatoes on a baking sheet, poke with a fork 3-4 times and bake at 430° F for one hour or until a small sharp knife can easily pierce through. Check at 40 min.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool for 5 min (but not completely cold.)
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, heat the Oil in the frying pan on med-high heat. Add the Onions and cook until softened.
- Next, add the shredded Garlic and Peppers. Cook for a minute or two, stirring regularly until peppers soften.
- Once the peppers have softened, add the shredded chicken.
- Add in the Garlic Powder, Cumin and Paprika and continue cooking until chicken is completely coated. Season with Salt to taste.
- Mix in the Beans and remove the pan from the heat; set aside.
- Carefully cut the sweet potatoes in half. Slice around the inside of the skin, leaving 1cm 'wall' around the inside of the skin. Scoop out the flesh and transfer it into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the skins aside.
- Add the chicken fajita mixture to the sweet potato flesh in the bowl; mix it through until completely combined. Stir in the Lime Juice.
- Stuff the potato skins with the fajita sweet potato mixture and sprinkle with Cheese.
- Arrange the stuffed potato skins on baking pan and put them back in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Serve with chopped Cilantro Leaves, Avocado/Guacamole, Salsa and Sour Cream.