Let’s start cooking…
Sweet Potato, Sunflower Seeds, Rolled Oats, Ground Flaxseed, Cilantro (or Parsley), Black Beans, Garlic, Onion, Oregano, Cumin, Chili Powder and Salt.
1) Mix the Ground Flaxseed with 2/3 cup Warm Water. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken. 2) In a large mixing bowl mash the Black Beans leaving 1/3 of the beans intact for texture. 3) Peel and grate the Sweet Potato. You will need 3 cups grated. 4) Add all of the remaining ingredients on top of the mashed black beans. I forgot to add the diced Onion in this photo but it’s in the burgers.
5) Here I’m adding the Flaxseed mixture. Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon. 6) Use your hands to thoroughly combine. 7) Use a 1/2 cup sized measuring cup for each burger and shape the mixture into disc shaped patties. 7) Ready for the oven. Bake for 30- 40 minutes at 350F flipping half way through.
Out of the oven.
- 6 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- ⅔ cup Warm Water
- 2 cans Black Beans (14 oz/398 ml each can), drained and rinsed
- 1 Onion, diced (red or yellow onion)
- 2 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 cups Sweet Potato, grated
- ⅔ cup Cilantro or Parsley (fresh), chopped
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 – 1.5 tsp Salt
- In a small bowl add the Ground Flaxseed and the Warm Water. Whisk to combine. Allow to sit for 5 -10 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Black Beans and mash with a pastry cutter or potato masher. Only mash ⅔ of the black beans, leaving ⅓ intact to provide texture.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients: Sweet Potato, Onion, Garlic, Cilantro (or Parsley), Sunflower Seeds, Spices, and Oats, and Flaxseed Mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon to start, then use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Using a ½ cup sized measuring cup, scoop up the mixture and then form into disc shaped patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350° F. Cool on a rack if not eating right away.
- Eat the veggie burgers in a pita, wrap or burger bun with your favourite toppings. I used Hummus, Guacamole, Red Onion, Lettuce, Tomato and Cucumber. Delicious!
- To freeze left overs, wrap the burgers individually in plastic wrap. These burgers are also excellent as a veggie snack.