With summer almost over now and autumn approaching, we are now heading into soup season. This Seafood Chowder recipe is jam packed with fish and seafood. If you find in this recipe a fishy ingredient that you don’t particularly care for, you can easily substitute it for more of another kind. For example, if clams aren’t your thing, then just add more of another fish/seafood ingredient that you really like. I find this recipe is quite forgiving in that sense. Serve this chowder with a side salad and crusty bread for the full meal deal. So good! Slurp, slurp!
Let’s start cooking…
Ingredients: Salmon, Haddock, Shrimp, Lobster, Scallops, Clams, Flour, Salt, Onions, Celery, Spinach, Potatoes, 10% Cream and Milk.
1) Melt the Butter in a soup pot. Add the Celery and Onions. Cook until softened. 2) Next add the potatoes. Add water to just cover them and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes are tender. 3) Add the Salmon, Scallops, Shrimp and Clams. 4) Add the Salmon, Scallops, Shrimp and Clams.
5) Gently stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes. 6) Add Lobster, Milk, Cream and Salt. Gently stir to combine and heat through. 7) Add the spinach. Stir to submerge and wilt. 8) Ready to eat!
Serve everyone a bowl and slurp away!
- ½ lb Salmon, raw
- 2 cups Lobster, canned (cartilage removed)
- ½ lb Haddock, raw
- ½ lb Shrimp, raw
- ½ lb Clams, raw (shelled) OR ½ lb other seafood/fish (ie. salmon, haddock, shrimp etc)
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups 10% Cream (Half & Half)
- 1 ½ cups 2% Milk
- ½ - 1 tsp Salt
- 1 handful Baby Spinach, raw (or add more)
- Cut Lobster and Fish into bite size pieces and set aside. If the Clams and Shrimp are too large, cut them in half.
- In a soup pot, melt the Butter. Add the Onions and Celery and cook on medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the Flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly.
- Add the Potatoes and enough Water to (just cover the potatoes). Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Remove lid and reduce heat to a low boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add Salmon, Haddock, Scallops, Shrimp, and Clams. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add Salt, Cream, Milk and Lobster. Gently stir together.
- Taste the chowder to see if it needs more salt. Make adjustments if necessary.
- Heat thoroughly. Add Spinach and allow to wilt.
- Serve yourself a big bowl! Enjoy.