This year I baked several types of Christmas cookies of which I made these vegan and gluten free Salted Caramel Coconut Cookies. They were a nice addition to my usual cookies and I’m sure I will be making them again next year. Funny how they were the first to vanish off the cookie plate!
Lets start baking…
Ingredients: Coconut Sugar, Shredded Coconut, Coconut Cream, Maple Syrup, Agave Syrup, Coconut Oil, Almond Flour, Arrowroot Flour and Salt.
1) In a medium mixing bowl add the Almond Flour, Arrowroot Flour, Maple Syrup and melted Coconut Oil. 2) Mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. 3) Roll 1 tablespoon sized dough balls and roll them in the shredded coconut. 4) Place each dough ball on a prepared baking sheet and press each ball with the back of a spoon or your thumb. Bake at 350F for 10-15 min.
5) Right out of the oven press each cookie again with the spoon to reinforce the impression. Cool cookies on a wire rack. 6) In a small sauce pan add the Coconut Cream, Coconut Oil, Agave Syrup and Coconut Sugar. Stir to combine. 7) Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 -15 minutes until caramel has thickened. 8) Fill each cooled cookie with the caramel sauce and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Once cooled, transfer cookies to a flat plate or container and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- FOR THE COOKIES
- ¼ cup Shredded Coconut, unsweetened
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- ½ cup Arrowroot Powder
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil, melted
- FOR THE CARAMEL
- ⅓ cup Coconut Cream
- ⅓ cup Agave Nectar
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Course sea salt (optional), for garnish
- MAKE THE COOKIES
- In a small bowl add the Shredded Coconut and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the Almond Flour, Arrowroot Powder, Maple Syrup and Coconut Oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Take a tablespoon sized piece of dough and roll it into a ball. Now roll the dough ball in the shredded coconut until coated all over. Place dough ball on baking sheet. Continue this process with the rest of the dough. Space the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Gently press the back of a spoon or your thumb in to each dough ball.
- Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes (I baked mine for 10 min).
- When the cookies come out of the oven, reinforce the impression on each cookie with a spoon again. Cool cookies on a wire rack for the time being.
- MAKE THE CARAMEL
- Combine all of the ingredients for the caramel in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer 10-15 minutes or until it thickens and forms a caramel sauce.