I needed to make a savory type of “finger food” for an event and these Pizza Roll-Ups were a hit! The dough is made from scratch and is very easy to make. I made this recipe with just cheese and pepperoni. You can use your favourite pizza topping ingredients (meat, veggies, etc). Be sure to watch them carefully as they bake.
Ingredients: Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar, Salt, Pizza Sauce, Parmesan Cheese, Basil, Butter, Milk, Mozzarella Cheese and Pepperoni.
1) In a mixing bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Sugar, and Parmesan Cheese. 2) With a pastry cutter, cut in the Butter to a coarse crumble. 3-4) Stir in the Milk. 5) Use your hands to bring the dough together. Be sure not to over work the dough. 6) Ready to roll out.
7) Cover your surface with a good sprinkle of flour. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough lengthwise. 8) Brush on the Pizza Sauce. 9) Add the Pepperoni and Mozzarella Cheese or use your toppings of choice. 10) Starting at the long edge, roll up the dough keeping it fairly tight. 11) Carefully cut the roll in half and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. FREEZE FOR 15 MINUTES. 12) Out of the freezer, slice the roll in one inch pieces. Place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
13) Brush some more Pizza Sauce on top of each round. 14) Sprinkle with some more Parmesan Cheese and Basil. In the oven they go. Bake at 450F for 12 – 14 minutes. Don’t let them burn. Keep a close eye on them. 15) Out of the oven. 16) And in your mouth!
- FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, plus more for topping
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Cold Butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup Milk
- PIZZA TOPPINGS
- Pizza Sauce (or other tomato pasta sauce)
- ¾ cup Pepperoni, sliced and chopped
- Sprinkled Basil, dried
- ¾ cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- In a medium mixing bowl, add Flour, Baking Powder, Parmesan Cheese, Sugar, and Salt. Stir well to combine.
- Cut in the Butter using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers until it begins to resemble coarse crumble.
- Pour in the Milk and stir using a mixing spoon until ingredients are just combined and dough forms. Use your hands to knead the dough a bit to bring it together.
- On a clean, flat surface, flour and roll out the dough into a 20x10 inch rectangle (approx).
- Brush on the Pizza Sauce. Add the Pepperoni, sprinkle Basil and Mozzarella. Next, roll up the dough (from the long end) tightly making a long tube, place it on the prepared baking sheet and FREEZE FOR 15 MINUTES.
- Remove pizza rolls from freezer and cut into 1 inch slices. Place each piece spaced at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (you may need to use two).
- Brush each pizza roll-up piece with Pizza Sauce and sprinkle with additional Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly on the baking sheet. Serve warm. They can also be eaten at room temperature.