A wonderful and nutritious soup full of goodness. I have made this soup so many times and I have decided that I prefer to make it with beef broth. It just give the soup a richer flavor. Chicken or vegetable broth work just as well. A very easy soup to make.
Let’s start cooking…
- 1 cup Green Lentils (dry, sorted for stones and rinsed)
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 cups Carrots, diced
- 1 cups Celery, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 8 cups Vegetable Broth (Beef or Chicken Broth for non-vegetarians works well)
- 1 28oz can Crushed or Diced Tomatoes OR use 4 cups Fresh Tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp Coriander, ground
- ½ tsp Basil, dried (or 2 tsp fresh Basil, chopped)
- Salt to taste, if you like
- 2 cups Raw Greens (Spinach or Finely Chopped Kale)
- 1 Zucchini, small, finely diced
- Heat oil in a med-large pot. Add Onions, Carrots, Celery, and Garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 min until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add Broth, Tomatoes, Zucchini and Lentils. Stir.
- Add Coriander and Basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender about 30 min or so. Stir occasionally.
- Add Greens and let them wilt before serving.