Crunchy Tuna Melt
Pre-heat oven to Broil. Move the oven rack one level below the level right under the broiler.
Author: Inspired from Food 52
Recipe type: Seafood
- 1 can Tuna packed in olive oil, 6 oz can
- ¼ of a Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Onions, dice the green part
- 2-3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1-2 Tbsp Jalapeno or Mixed Banana Peppers, diced
- 2 slices Good Bread; I used an Artisan Bread
- Olive Oil
- Asiago or Cheddar, slices
- For the Tuna packed in oil, don't drain the oil off too aggressively. Leave about half of it in the can; it will contribute a lovely silkiness to the filling.
- If using a water packed Tuna, drain completely. Note: You may need to add more Mayonnaise.
- Scrape the tuna into a mixing bowl and flake with a fork.
- Add the Red Peppers, Green Onions, Lemon Juice, Mayonnaise, and Hot Peppers if using.
- Gently stir everything together. Set Aside.
- On 2 large pieces of Bread, brush some Olive Oil on one side.
- Lay bread slices on a baking sheet and broil until lightly browned (for 1-3 minutes). Don't walk away. Keep a close eye on them.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn over the slices of bread.
- Spread filling on the one slice and arrange cheese on the other. Return to broiler and heat for about 2 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, and filling has heated.
- Remove from oven and carefully turn the cheese-y slice over on top of the one spread with filling. Slice in half and eat immediately.