Sandwich fixings: Green Onion, Olive Oil, Lemon, Red Pepper, Mayonnaise, Asiago or Cheddar Cheese, Tuna in oil (I had jalapeño flavour), and an Artisan Bread of your choice.
1) Drain the oil but not all of it and flake. If using water packed tuna, drain completely. 2) In a small mixing bowl combine Tuna, Green Onion, Mayonnaise, Lemon Juice, Red Pepper, and Hot Peppers (if using). Mix together. 3) All mixed together. 4) Slice your cheese and set aside.
5) On two slices of bread, brush Olive Oil on one side only. Place on a baking sheet. Move the oven rack one level below the top level (right under the broiler). 6) Broil the bread for a 1-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. 7) Turn both pieces over exposing the un-toasted side. 8) Put the cheese on one slice and all of the tuna filling on the other.
9) Back in the oven it goes to broil again for about 2 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the tuna mixture is heated. 10) Right out of the oven. Close your sandwich and cut in half.
- 1 can Tuna packed in olive oil, 6 oz can
- ¼ of a Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Onions, dice the green part
- 2-3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1-2 Tbsp Jalapeno or Mixed Banana Peppers, diced
- 2 slices Good Bread; I used an Artisan Bread
- Olive Oil
- Asiago or Cheddar, slices
- For the Tuna packed in oil, don't drain the oil off too aggressively. Leave about half of it in the can; it will contribute a lovely silkiness to the filling.
- If using a water packed Tuna, drain completely. Note: You may need to add more Mayonnaise.
- Scrape the tuna into a mixing bowl and flake with a fork.
- Add the Red Peppers, Green Onions, Lemon Juice, Mayonnaise, and Hot Peppers if using.
- Gently stir everything together. Set Aside.
- On 2 large pieces of Bread, brush some Olive Oil on one side.
- Lay bread slices on a baking sheet and broil until lightly browned (for 1-3 minutes). Don't walk away. Keep a close eye on them.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn over the slices of bread.
- Spread filling on the one slice and arrange cheese on the other. Return to broiler and heat for about 2 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, and filling has heated.
- Remove from oven and carefully turn the cheese-y slice over on top of the one spread with filling. Slice in half and eat immediately.