I love sandwiches or anything that resembles one (like wraps). For lunch I wanted to make a wrap that was different, tasty and healthy… something that would deliver — enter Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling. Here is a very fresh and crunchy vegetarian sandwich filling that is a great alternative to tuna and egg salad. So refreshing and scrumptious! Put it on your favourite sandwich bread, wrap or just eat it right out of the bowl! This recipe is Gluten Free. Keep it vegan with a vegan mayonnaise.
Ingredients: Green Onion, Celery, Dill (optional), Yellow Mustard, Mayonnaise, Salt, Chickpeas, Red Pepper and Lemon Juice.
Mash the Chickpeas.
Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl.
Mix well to combine and taste. Make adjustments if needed.
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed (15oz)
- 3 stalks Celery, diced
- 2 Green Onions, diced fine
- ¼ cup Red Pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Dill, chopped fine (optional)
- 2 -3 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In a mixing bowl add the Chickpeas and mash them with a pastry cutter or potato masher to break them up.
- Next add all the remaining (prepared) ingredients and stir to combine.
- Have a taste and make adjustments if needed (more salt, lemon, dill etc)
- Serve in sandwich or wrap with lettuce, tomato, and sprouts or just eat it right out the bowl!
Additions/Variations: Diced dill pickle, Diced sundried tomato, Diced hot peppers etc.