Let’s start cooking…
Pepper, Flour, Ketchup, Butter, Onion, Worcestershire Sauce, Beef Consommé, Beef, Sour Cream (optional), Basil, Salt, Nutmeg (optional), Mushroom, Egg Noodles. Carrots (not shown) — they were an after thought.
1) Add 3 Tbsp Butter in Pan 1 and add the diced Onions. Sauté until softened. 2) Add the Flour and stir to combine. 3) Add the Consommé, Worcestershire Sauce, Ketchup, Basil and Nutmeg. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring regularly. 4) In Pan 2, melt 2 Tbsp Butter add the Mushrooms. The Carrots would go in here as well. Cook until softened.
5) Once the Mushrooms and Carrots are cooked, transfer them to Pan 1. 6) Give a stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 min, stirring occasionally. 7) Back to Pan 2, add the your Beef Strips in Oil. 8) Cook for a few minutes, keeping the inside a little pink. Then transfer to Pan 1.
9) With the beef strips mixed in the mushroom mixture, stir gently and cook for 3-4 min. 10) Here I added cooked carrots as they were an after thought.
- 1 Onion – Medium, diced
- 5 Tbsp Butter, divided (3 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp)
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 can Beef Consommé (10oz / 284 ml approx)
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ⅛ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Basil, dried
- Dash Nutmeg
- 1 lb Mushrooms, Fresh Sliced Mushrooms
- 1-2 Carrots, thinly sliced rounds
- 1½ lbs Beef Tenderloin, Top loin or Sirloin Tip, cut into bite size strips
- 1-3 Tbsp Sour Cream, room temperature (optional)
- Extra Cooking or Olive Oil
- 2-3 cups Egg Noodles, uncooked
- Fill a large pot with water, cover with a lid and start to bring to a boil. This will be to cook your Egg Noodles later in the recipe. If the water starts to boil before you’re ready for it, just turn down the heat to minimum. Bring water back to a boil when you’re ready to cook the noodles.
- In Pan 1 over med-high heat, sauté Onions in 3 Tbsp Butter; stir in Flour.
- Gradually add Beef Consommé, stirring constantly.
- Add Ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, Pepper, Basil and Nutmeg. Combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile in Pan 2, sauté the Mushrooms and Carrots in 2 Tbsp Butter until soft. Once the Mushrooms are cooked, transfer them to the sauce mixture in Pan 1.
- In Pan 2, brown Beef Strips in 2 Tbsp Cooking or Olive Oil. Make sure the beef is still a little pink inside. Add beef to mushroom mixture in Pan 1. Gently stir combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Do Not Allow To Boil. Add Salt to taste if desired.
- Now cook your Egg Noodles according to package instructions. Drain and serve in individual bowls and top with a serving of the Beef Stroganoff.
- Add a dollop of Sour Cream to your serving, if desired. You might like the way it tastes without the sour cream.
- Drain Egg Noodles when cooked through and serve the Beef Stroganoff. Enjoy your retro meal!