The cardamom in this recipe brings this cookie to a whole new level. You can make it without but it’s worth putting it in! As well, this cookie is slightly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. A perfect and easy (not to mention inexpensive) Christmas Cookie. Double the recipe if you’re making them for a bake exchange or bake sale.
Note: The next time I make this recipe I will update with photos.
- ¾ cup Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Fancy Molasses (not Blackstrap)
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp Cardamom, ground
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup White Sugar for decoration (optional)
- In a medium bowl, cream together the Butter and 1 cup Sugar until smooth. Beat in the Egg and Molasses until well blended. Combine the Flour, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Baking Soda and Salt; stir into the molasses mixture to form a dough.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll the balls in the remaining sugar. Place cookies balls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets, however, I still line my sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.