Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burger
Author: Inspired by Oh She Glows
Recipe type: Vegan
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 6 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- ⅔ cup Warm Water
- 2 cans Black Beans (14 oz/398 ml each can), drained and rinsed
- 1 Onion, diced (red or yellow onion)
- 2 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 cups Sweet Potato, grated
- ⅔ cup Cilantro or Parsley (fresh), chopped
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 – 1.5 tsp Salt
- In a small bowl add the Ground Flaxseed and the Warm Water. Whisk to combine. Allow to sit for 5 -10 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Black Beans and mash with a pastry cutter or potato masher. Only mash ⅔ of the black beans, leaving ⅓ intact to provide texture.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients: Sweet Potato, Onion, Garlic, Cilantro (or Parsley), Sunflower Seeds, Spices, and Oats, and Flaxseed Mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon to start, then use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Using a ½ cup sized measuring cup, scoop up the mixture and then form into disc shaped patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350° F. Cool on a rack if not eating right away.
- Eat the veggie burgers in a pita, wrap or burger bun with your favourite toppings. I used Hummus, Guacamole, Red Onion, Lettuce, Tomato and Cucumber. Delicious!
- To freeze left overs, wrap the burgers individually in plastic wrap. These burgers are also excellent as a veggie snack.